Sunday, September 18, 2011

Critique Groups & Partners

Apparently the new "hot" topic in romance writing circles is critique groups. I did not attend the national conference this year, but heard that there were several workshops on the subject. I also recently learned that a well-known, well-respected author and instructor is writing a book on critique groups.

I was in a critique group until very recently. The group was one of the longest-running groups in my local RWA chapter, and I was thrilled beyond anything when I was invited to join. After I joined, there was a "core four", but we kept losing our published members. Okay, some weren't such a loss, but most, yeah, a real loss.

The Core Four decided to take off the summer this year. And over the summer several of us learned something about our writing and ourselves. Too often we were writing "to the group" instead of to the story. I know that I really like to push boundaries, but found myself toning back the "grit". My former agent and I even talked about it in 2007 or 2008. I let the group's low 'ick-factor' tolerance level dictate some of my story lines.

One of the Core Four wrote to the group in the beginning of September and said she wouldn't be back. We'd still see each other at our monthly chapter meetings, so the friendships would remain, but being in the critique group was no longer part of her roadmap to publication.

That gave me the courage to suggest that we disband. The other two members quickly concurred. So the 2nd oldest crit group in CNYRW is no more.

In a private e-mail to one of my former crit partners, I said that I often wondered if my feedback was of any value to the other members. Sometimes a lot of self-doubt (part of a writer's toolkit!) plagued me. My former crit partner responded that because I was so well read, my feedback carried a lot of weight with her.

I'd never considered that being well-read was a qualification to be a critique partner. In a beta reader, yes. But critique partners are different. A critique relationship is almost like a marriage, a family, with our stories as our children from the first seed of an idea to a completed manuscript. Brainstorming, picking apart story elements, searching for answers: it's similar to raising a child. Beta readers don't do that. ( I adore my beta-readers, and value their feedback because they are readers.)

 I'm glad to know I was of value to my critique partners.
R.I.P. Vs & Ps

3 comments:

JMCS said...

Molly,

Sorry to hear about your group disbanding but I whole heartedly agree that your advice was great. You always have good judgement and a level-head. I am sure you brought a lot to the table. I understand what you mean about the loss. A few people in my adoption group stopped coming and some even got divorced before proceeding through with their adoptions, heck a lot of stuff happens when the wait is now 5 years for some China adoptions. Hugs to you and good luck on the next step of your writing. XOXOXO

hugs,
Jonni

Rebecca said...

You used the wrong "to", maybe you should go back to the critique group...

So no more critique? That's just a weird thought.

mj compton said...

Thanks, Jonni. I'm moving forward, ever forward. And I can't believe your girls are in kindergarten this year! Time sure has flown.

Rebecca, my beautiful English major college daughter. Thanks for catching the typo. I've fixed it. xoxox