Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grandmothers

I had the best grandmothers, and I miss them both very much.

Gramma C used to bake me cookies with raisins. My dad doesn't like raisins, so I never had raisin cookies at home, making Gramma's raisin cookies a special treat. When she and my grandfather sold their farm and Gramma offered to let us take something we wanted, I chose the Aunt Jemima cookie jar.

When I was in high school and wanted pet house plants -- purple ones, no less -- Gramma gave me clippings of her coleus and wandering jew. I had those plants for years, until I moved into an apartment that was toxic to plants. (It killed my basil, too, a trauma I still haven't gotten over.)

Gramma T used to make Barbie doll clothes for all of her granddaughters. I still have most of mine -- except for the white satin wedding gown trimmed with pale blue ribbon. The girl down the street "borrowed" it and never returned it. I always thought I'd share the clothes and my dolls with my daughter, but X-Chromo wasn't into Barbies -- or even dolls -- all that much.

Even more than purple plants and homemade Barbie clothes, I have memories. Holidays spent with my sprawling extended families, laughter, fabulous food, and love.

I'm lucky and I'm thankful.

If Gramma C or Gramma T are reading the 'net somewhere, I love you, I miss you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Best holidays as a kid were the ones when we went to my Gramma Wood's house. Or the annual Xmas eve party that used to be such a huge event. Oh, good times. Good times.

Remembering is good. Reminds me how important I am to my own grandkids. More than we realize most days, I think.

Robinski said...

You are so fortunate to have such wonderful memories of two grandmothers, mine were both gone by the time I had the ability to remember such things, so you are blessed twice! Having parents that had me in their forties gave me great parents but unfortunately no grandparents to enjoy. I however, did enjoy some of my friends grandparents, and I know that Aunt Jemima cookie jar well! :)..thanks for sharing!