Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Woman in the Mirror

I had a birthday this week. Not a huge milestone, but I'm creeping up there in age. I had the day off from work, so spent it writing and playing with my mp3 player, then took a late afternoon shower to get ready to go out to dinner with TV Stevie.

When I climbed out of the shower and looked in the bathroom mirror, I saw my grandmother.

It was a shock. I never thought I looked like her, yet there she was, staring back at me.

I would have been 10 years old when Gram was my current age (our birthdays are two days apart).

Gram was honest and a hard worker. She lived to age 98, well-loved by all. She had 80 great-grandchildren by then, and I'm not sure anyone knows how many other generations there were past that . . . rumor had it there were a total of 6 (including Gram) when she died. That's pretty impressive.

Back in the mid 1980's, when my generation was talking about a cousins reunion, Gram was pleased that her grandchildren wanted to do that. There are a lot of us. That's what makes getting together so much fun.


In her later years, she lived with my aunt, next door to my parents, so we all got to see her more often. X and Y Chromo knew her pretty well.


I guess if I'm going to look like someone not me, looking like Pearl Nancy Caples Compton isn't such a bad thing.

3 comments:

Robinski said...

I truly enjoyed this piece and can relate to it. My maternal Grandmother, Matilda Ruth Bellinger was a statuesque and robust woman, unfortunately I never knew her. However I have a picture of her dressed in her Sunday finest, complete with a short hair style with spit curls at her temples, typical of the era. Right after my 50 th birthday I got out this picture and was amazed at the spitting image of her I had become, my finally wearing glasses is what cemented the resemblance. My brothers and sisters all speak fondly of the visits to the Farm where my grandparents lived, Grandma Matilda died before her time . Thanks for stirring good memories!

denise thomas barber said...

this makes me go back in my mind remembering all the times we spent at Grams, seems every sunday we were there, whether it was full family or just us.. it is a lot to remember, and though i sometimes cant remember dinner last night but i remember most of those times at her house

Kevin Compton said...

Gram always had snickerdoodles in the cookie jar for us. Do you have them in yours? She taught all of us the importance of family. Remember that lilac tree in the yard and all the ball games in the front yard. The window breaking and all of us disappearing.
She was an amazing woman!!!