Monday, May 06, 2013

Musical Icon of My Youth: Melanie

TV Stevie and I went to see Melanie last night.

Who?

Well, most people I've talked to recently know her by her hit, "Brand New Key." Yet TV Stevie and I immediately think of "Lay Down Candles in the Rain" when we think of Melanie. A lot of folks remember her as a one-hit wonder, and those folks are dead wrong.

The thing that struck me about the concert was her joy. She performed with her son, Beau Jarred Schekeryk, and their joy at working together filled the theatre.

Melanie Safka and Beau Jarred Schekeryk at the
Catherine Cummings Theatre in Cazenovia, NY
Between songs, Melanie told stories about her music. There was no set playlist -- in fact, she took requests from the audience. As TV Stevie said, "You didn't mind that you weren't familiar with all the songs -- she was just that good." Her voice has withstood time. She told us that she never had a pretty voice, but rather, an expressive voice. Which is probably why I've always liked her music.

Her son is an amazing guitarist. Incredible guitarist. He mixes flamenco with other styles and . . . the result is indescribable. At one point, Melanie cajoled him into playing a solo as a Mother's Day gift to her. Oh. My.
He even played with the guitar on his head. I'm not talking strumming. I'm talking the flamenco plus method.

Beau Jarred Schekeryk playing guitar on his head.


PLAYLIST:
Beautiful People (dedicated to Richie Havens)
Already Gone
I Tried to Die Young
Jamming Alone
Fantasia Melody (Beau, see above photo)
Baby Day
Look What They Done to My Song
Brand New Key
Smile
Psychotherapy
Love Doesn't Have to Hurt
Angel Watching
Lay Down
ENCORE: 
Extraordinary


After the concert, she signed CDs and photos. I bought her newest release, "Ever Since You Never Heard of Me." She told me I would really enjoy it, and that it was the last album produced by her late husband.  I thanked her for her music.




No comments: